The 4th International Mass Spectrometry School consists of:
1) Tutorial lectures (50-90 min), aimed to go through fundamentals and new trends in instrumentation and applications.
The following main topics will be presented in the didactic lectures:
• Ionization techniques: from classical to ambient mass spectrometry
• Low and high resolution mass analysers
• Ion mobility mass spectrometry
• Coupling separation techniques with mass spectrometry
• Hybrid instruments and tandem mass spectrometry
• Fragmentation mechanisms and fundamentals of decomposition mechanisms
• Fundamentals: definitions, accurate mass measurements, isotope analysis
• Databases and informatics in mass spectrometry
• Isotope dilution in quantitative mass spectrometry
• Applications in chemistry, biosciences, food, environment, clinics and medicine
2) Several activities will be organized to stimulate discussion and to motivate students to be deeply involved in the course:
• Selected short oral sessions by students on their own research activities.
• Poster sessions. Students will be encouraged to present a poster on their own research activity or problems they encountered in their activity. Posters will be exhibited during the full period of the school to give the opportunity to those attending the school to go through. In addition to the everyday poster session, the Poster room will be the meeting point for coffee breaks and commercial and editorial booths, which will give more occasions of discussion and interaction.
• Flash communications session. Selected posters will be present as flash communications to give opportunity to more students to present their work. These communications will be selected among the posters presented.
3) All resources for the course will be available through the Student Intranet Portal.
For a profitable and fruitful learning, the number of students will be limited to 100-120. It should be desirable that lectures stay for all the course duration, so to have many occasions to talk, exchange opinions and discuss with students.